PAAR is here 24/7, at 1-866-END-RAPE
(1-866-363-7273). Interpreters available.
It can be difficult to think clearly if you, or someone you know, has been the victim of sexual violence and abuse. Take a deep breath, and know PAAR is here to help you.
Warning Signs of Sex Trafficking
- Appearing malnourished
- Showing signs of physical injuries and abuse
- Avoiding eye contact, social interaction and authority figure/law enforcement
- Seeming to adhere to scripted or rehearsed responses in social interaction
- Lacking official identification documents
- Working excessive, long hours
- Living at place of employment
- Checking into hotel/motels with older males, and referring to those males as boyfriend or “daddy,” which is often street slang for pimp or John.
- Poor physical or dental health
- Tattoos/branding on the neck and/or lower back
- Untreated sexually transmitted diseases
- Small children serving in a family restaurant
- Security measures that appear to keep people inside an establishment – barbed wire inside of a fence, bars covering the insiders of windows
- Not allowing people to go into public alone, or speak for themselves
These warning signs are adapted from information provided by the Polaris Project, the National Human Trafficking Resource Center and Innocents at Risk.